East Midlands in Bloom Competition
East Midlands in Bloom - Competition Information
East Midlands in Bloom is an annual competition organised by the EMIB Regional Committee, and is one of the 18 regions/nations which comprise ‘Britain in Bloom‘, the campaign organised by the Royal Horticultural Society.
The aim of the competition is to encourage the improvement of our surroundings through the imaginative use of trees, shrubs, flowers and landscaping. It also aims to achieve a litter free and sustainable environment. This links directly to the three RHS core pillars of excellence which are:
- Horticultural Achievement
- Environmental Responsibility
- Community Participation
This takes place during July and the entrants are contacted by the judges in May or June. Judging criteria include:
- Visible impact of flowers and floral bedding
- Maintenance and care of horticultural displays
- Photographic evidence of seasonal colour and activities
- Attractive permanent planting and landscape
- Community and private involvement
- Local environmental quality
- Commercial and industrial involvement
- Absence of litter, graffiti, fly tipping and general cleanliness of the area
- Efforts made by the Police, hospitals, universities, schools, churches community groups etc.
An annual Awards Ceremony is held in mid-September. Representatives of all entrants are invited to join in the celebrations and receive their award with the category winners being presented with a trophy.
There are a number of discretionary awards. These are nominated and agreed by the judges based on what they see and hear about during their judging. There is also an opportunity to meet up with the judges, to compare notes and share stories and ideas with other entrants.
SPECIALS AND SCHOOLS
As well as enter into the main East Midlands in Bloom competition, we can also enter the ‘Special Awards’ and ‘Best School Garden’competitions.
CHANGE IN JUDGING CRITERIA
In 2019 EMiB agreed to adopt the RHS Britain in Bloom judging criteria and marking. This brings the EMiB region into line with the rest of the Federation.
Please see the links below to our entries in the competition: